Niacinamide in Skin Care
Niacinamide is a Vitamin B3 derivative, and is a skin restoring, and protective ingredient. It is a popular ingredient because of the result it has on ‘aging’ skin. Niacinamide can reduce fine lines, wrinkles, smooth the skin’s texture, lighten hyperigmentation, treat inflammation, and improve the skin’s barrier.
|Journal Article||Who was included?||What was used?||What was found about Niacinamide on the skin?|
|A randomized, controlled comparative study of the wrinkle reduction benefits of a cosmetic niacinamide/peptide/retinyl propionate product regimen vs. a prescription 0·02% tretinoin product regimen
|196 Aging females with sever periorbital wrinkles (wrinkles around the eye).||99 females used:
1. Sunscreen lotion (SPF 30) containing 5% Niacinamide, peptides, & antioxidants.
2. Moisturising cream containing Niacinamide & peptides,
3. An anti-wrinkle product, containing Niacinamide, peptides, and retinyl propionate (retinol)
Other Females Used:
1. A different form of anti- wrinkle treatment.
|a) Significantly improved fine lines & wrinkles, compared to another form of anti-wrinkle treatment.
b) Improved skin texture, & strengthened the skin’s outer barrier, also known as your Stratum Corneum. (The surface of the skin)
Juskin Note: I only included findings found by the author on Niacinamide, and not by peptides. If you want more information on the findings of peptides, or if you want to know more about the different form of anti-wrinkle treatment used, this is an open journal (an open journal means that the public can access it)
|Nicotinic acid/niacinamide and the skin
(Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology)
|This research journal did not conduct a study, but instead listed the findings of different studies.||36 papers were discussed in this research journal, and the effects Niacinamide had on the skin.||a) Niacinamide can penetrated/absorbed into the skin more easily than other substances.
b) Improved the skin’s barrier:
1. Increased the synthesis of Keratin through differentiation of keratinocytes within the skin. (Keratinocytes are one of the building blocks used in maintaining a healthy skin barrier)
2. Stimulates Cermaide, Cholesterol, & Fatty Acids (These are also building blocks that are needed in maintaining the skin’s barrier)
3. Caused an increase in collagen synthesis.
4. As a result from an improved skin barrier, Niacinamide caused less water loss in the skin.
(Only 2% was needed to show these functions)
c) Improved wrinkles. Niacinamide increased the number of ‘aging cells’. (Niacinamide increased cell quantity/production)
d) Improved skin texture: Niacinamide caused the skin to become more smoother, and correct the damage of aging skin. ( 2.5% Niacinamide used)
e) Has an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin & increased recovery time of open wounds.
f) Lighten Hyper Pigmentation.