My Beauty Diary: Black Pearl Mask
My Beauty Diary Black Pearl Mask contains natural active ingredient of black pearls which whiten and soften skin. Pineapples, limes, and cucumbers accelerates metabolism of stratum comeum which gently remove dead epidermis cells. Has the ability to restore skin’s resilience and radiance with whitening and softening properties. Recommended for normal skin, especially for those with dull skin lacking elasticity.
Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Laminaria Digitata Extract, Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) root extract, Citric Acid, Hydrolyzed Pearl, Tabebuia Impetignosa Bark Extract, Polysorbate 20, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Codium Tomentosum Extract, Lecithin, Polysorbate 80, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower Extract, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Glyceryl Glucoside, Polyglutamic Acid, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer,Fragrance (Parfum), Polyglycerin-3,Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Arbutin, Glycosphingolipids, Tocopheryl Acetate
- Butylene Glycol: This is a multi purpose ingredient, it helps keep the product from drying out, & enhances skin penetration to other ingredients. This ingredient is a possible acne trigger if applied in its pure form. Numerous studies have been conducted on this ingredient, and have deemed it appropriate to be used in cosmetics/skincare.
- Propylene Glycol: Is mainly used in cosmetics/skin care to stop the products from spoiling from high & low temperates. This ingredient also enhances skin penetration to other ingredients.
- Triethanolamine: This ingredient aims to be a PH adjuster for your skin. However, studies have shown this ingredient to cause allergic reactions. As such, this ingredient is normally flagged in a lot of skin care databases. Additionally, this ingredient has been linked as a toxin towards the human skin/immune system & respiratory system. Fret not, as this is only for high dosages (concentration of more than 5%), but in order for skincare products to have this ingredient, the concentration is limited to 0.5%. This ingredient is normally found in discontinuous (brief) use products like face masks! It is not meant for prolong contact with the skin.
- Phenoxyethanol: Is used for its anti bacterial properties, and as a preservative in skincare/cosmetics. This ingredient has side effects if the dosage is high in products. However, is non – toxic when applied on a dermal route (the skin).
- Polysorbate-20: Is derived from Lauric Acid, which has anti-bacteria, anti-fungal & anti- inflammatory properties. This ingredient is used as an emulsifier (stops ingredients in the product from separating) and a surfactant ( allows the product to be washed away easily).
- Polysorbate 80: Another emulsifier & surfactant ingredient.
- Glycerin: Is found naturally topically on our skin, and helps our skin stay soft & supple. It ‘draws’ water from beneath our skin layers to the top. This will result in this ingredient treating dry skin conditions topically. However, when too much pure glycerin is added in a product, this can actually be negative for you. Needless to say, too much of pure glycerin will continue to take water from our layers underneath our skin, until it is dehydrated.
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice: This ingredient helps with soothing our skin. Aloe ( maybe known to you as Aloe Vera), contains antioxidants & traces of Vitamins A,C & E. This is a natural anti-inflammatory agent & anti-bacterial. This is why we apply pure aloe over our sun burns, to help soothe the area.
- Sodium Hyaluronate: If you ever see this ingredient in a product, its just a fancy way of saying hyaluronic acid. This ingredient can hold up to 1000x times of its moisture content, and sadly can only work topically to keep the skin hydrated (this only applies if sodium hyaluronate is not in a serum). This ingredient works best as a serum, so it can penetrate deep within your skin! Always keep this in mind.
- Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract: Acts as a leave on exfoliant (something like AHA/BHA), and also has some anti- inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract: Is known for their vitamin C & antioxidants (Caffeic Acid) benefits. Studies have shown that cucumber can help with the skin’s discolouration process. Additionally, a miss conception around cucumber is their soothing/ inflammatory properties (hence putting them around your eye area), but no recent studies have actually found this to be true.
- Laminaria Digitata Extract: Refers to brown algae, and contains a lot of nourishment and antioxidants for the skin. Laminaria Digitata contains different types of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Additionally, this ingredient can help hydrate the skin & maintain our skin’s natural moisture barrier.
- Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein: Aims to reduce sebum production (oil), and help moisturise the skin.
- Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) root extract: A superstar ingredient that has anti – inflammatory and anti- bacterial properties. Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) also stimulates melanin production (which is essential in treating hyper-pigmentation).
- Hydrolyzed Pearl: Is supposed to brighten, whiten, reduce discolouration (scaring), and fine lines on the skin. However, there have been no clinical studies of this. Sadly, evidence for this claim is only anecdotal.
Note: I have used this particular type of mask 20 times.
Scent (3/5): The smell is very ‘chemically’ once opened, but when applied on to the face the smell fades.
Size of sheet mask (5/5): This sheet mask is huge, and fits my face perfectly.
Texture (2/5): The texture of the serum is light, but sticky. Once the sheet mask is removed topically, the serum still remains on my face unless massaged in.
Serum Quantity (5/5): This mask is jam packed with serum. Once removed from the packaging, there is enough serum remaining in the package to be reused 4 times (just remember to re-seal the package).
Serum Quality (3/5): The serum provides nourishment & moisture for the skin. Additionally, the inflammatory properties helped soothed my skin. This mask did not whiten or brighten my face, even though the mask claims so (and relies heavily on Hydrolyzed Pearl to do so). However, whitening & brightening claims for this ingredient are just anecdotal. This is why i didn’t see any brightening effects from this mask. Additionally, every other ingredient in this mask do not act to whiten or brighten the skin. This mask only provides a good dose of moisture, nourishment and soothing properties.
Effects from the mask:
- Very moisturising
- Anti- inflammation
Price: $20 (set of 10 face masks/ $2 per sheet)
Results from other blogger(s):
- Temporary brightening/whitening
All products are purchased with my money. I am not sponsored to review any products, nor do i have affiliate links. I am however a proud affiliate with WishTrend, and I truly adore how they promote good skin health. All opinions are 100% honest, and written from my personal experience.
Irritants are flagged from skin care database: CosDNA
Since word press is a free to use platform, you might occasionally you might see an ad on my page. This is placed by WordPress and not by me.